Our Environmental Vision
COMMITMENT TO CONSERVATION
To reduce our impact on the world’s resources today and for future generations by being socially and environmentally responsible in our actions, practices and decision making.
John B. Sanfilippo & Son, Inc. (JBSS) has taken steps to become an environmental leader. From reducing the energy we use to recycling programs and sustainable packaging, we are committed to reducing our impact on the environment today and for generations to come. These actions help conserve non-renewable resources and reduce energy consumption. All employees are educated on the importance of resource conservation both at work and in their personal lives.
Our Areas of Focus
- Replaced plant high-intensity discharge lighting with fluorescent lighting in all locations.
- Reduced natural gas usage by over 6% since FY 2009
- Reduced electricity over 30% since FY 2009
These reductions are equivalent to powering the energy usage of approximately 200 homes for a year and taking approximately 12,000 cars off the road.
- Robust recycling program includes material such as film, product waste, paper, plastics, corrugate and water.
- The company recycles over 8 million pounds a year which is approximately 80% of its waste stream.
- PET plastic used for packaging has the highest recycling rate in the U.S.
- JBSS has transitioned from composite cans to 40% lighter weight PET cans. This conversion supports our REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE initiative.
- Since we began this conversion in 2010, this represents 500,000 pounds less packaging material and over 200,000 pounds fewer CO2 emissions for the same number of containers.
- JBSS continually looks for opportunities to reduce packaging material while maintaining packaging integrity. In the past year, on-shelf display cases have been light weighted for an annual savings of 1,340,000 pounds of corrugate.
- Extending our “green” reach beyond our own company, our suppliers are encouraged to actively pursue resource conservation efforts within their own companies.
- Working with our freight providers, we have been able to reduce our carbon footprint by optimizing weight of trailers, speed management and continually researching fuel saving technologies.